art January 25, 2017
The Stages of Creating
Seeing Mistakes as Opportunities
2. Shit. A blank canvas... Where do I begin.
3. 30 minutes later...Alright, let's just give 'er and see what happens.
4. Ok so this is turning out differently than the image in my head but let's just roll with it and see what happens.
5. Oh no. I just ruined it. Why did I do that?!?! It is finished now, I can't even look at it.
6. Binge on junk food or viral videos for varying amounts of time.
7. Glance at the painting... Well, I've already ruined it so why not just have fun.
8. Actually let go of the need to control every paint splatter and truly experience the process.
9. Every mistake is becoming an opportunity, almost finished.
10. Realize that "mistakes" turned your piece into something completely different than you imagined but 10x better because you can now see glimpses of your soul in the paint.
One of the hardest parts for me when creating is feeling discouraged that it is nowhere near what I imagined. I'm learning that it isn't due to a person's inability but rather that their heart took the reins for a bit. A piece made with just your mind is only half finished, you need to mix in some soul for it to truly be complete.
Love your mistakes for it is just your soul trying to convince your mind to let it drive for a while.